Toenail fungus technically known as Onychomycosis, is the most common disease of the nails. The infection may occur in one or more nails beginning as a white or yellow spot under the tip of the nail. As the fungus spreads, it causes nail discoloration and thickening. If the infection deepens, the nail becomes brittle and comes away completely from the toe. If untreated, the skin inflames and becomes painful. Fungal infections are usually seen in adults, and mostly occur in toe nails than on fingernails. Infections are caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes that does not require sunlight for survival.
Treatment of Toenail fungus:
Toenail fungus treatment is not easy as it occurs under the nail, the area that is not easy to reach. Creams and ointments usually don’t help much in the treatment of toenail fungus. Prescribed medicines that are to be taken orally may help in this case. Doctors generally prescribe medicines like flucanazole or Itraconazole to treat this condition. Research has shows that fungi are sensitive to heat (40–60 °C); hence Laser is an effective Toenail fungus treatment as heat is applied on the nail bed and disrupts the growth of fungi.
Home Remedies (Easy and Useful) :
Common ingredients from the kitchen help in treating various ailments. The following are effective home remedies that can stop and cure toe nail infections.
- White Vinegar: Washing the nail with little vinegar after shower gets rid of the fungi that’s beginning to form on the nail
- Tea tree oil: With its antiseptic and fungicide properties, tea tree oil is one of the best Toenail fungus cure. It has to be applied with a cotton ball on the infected area.
- Baking soda is an easy inexpensive toenail fungus cure. The infected are has to be soaked in a mixture of baking soda and hot water (1:4) for ten minutes to kill the fungi gradually
- Garlic: Allicin present in garlic contains antifungal properties. Fresh garlic has to rubbed on the infected area or garlic paste can be mixed with white vinegar and applied on the nail
- Lemon Juice: The citric acid in lemon juice stops the fungi from spreading further and slowly cures the infected area.
- Lavender oil: Warm lavender oil can be applied to the affected nail to soothe pain and irritation. This will also inhibit the growth of fungi
Prevention of Toenail Fungus:
Good health and hygienic lifestyle prevents the occurrence of toenail fungus. The following precautions will help in preventing nails from fungal infection:
- Trimming the nails regularly and keeping them (finger nails and toe nails) clean and dry
- Trimming the nails straight across rather than rounding them at the edges
- Avoid sharing manicure and pedicure tools with others
- Using sterilized tools for manicure and pedicure
- Wearing clean socks made of good fabric that get rid of moisture and sweat
- Avoid wearing tight foot wear all the time.
- Avoid going to public places barefoot
- It is good to use shower sandals while using public pools and showers.